The rules, structure, and processes of the Holacracy framework are evolving and soon Constitution Version 5.0 will be released. GlassFrog is a step ahead and already allows you to switch your organization to v5. In order to use v5, you will need to switch to the new UI, if you haven't already.
How to switch to v5?
To convert your organization, you need to have Admin rights.
1) In the Admin menu, select "Organization Settings".
2) Towards the bottom part of the settings page, click on "Upgrade to Holacracy v5 (beta)".
It should only take a few moments to update your organization.
When the update is complete, the organization will be on v5 and it will say so in your settings:
Note: Be careful! Once you've switched to v5, you will not have the option to switch back to v4.1. If you have any further questions about the process, please contact email@example.com.
What changes come with switching to v5?
- First, there is a change in nomenclature:
- Instead of Lead Link, the name for that role will be Circle Lead.
- Similarly, Rep Link → Circle Rep.
- Individual Action → Individual Initiative.
- And there is a new term: Role Lead.
- You will gain the ability to assign multiple Circle Leads (as opposed to v4, where you can only assign one Lead Link).
- You will no longer be able to add members to circles without roles. All members of circles must have roles to still be considered part of the circles.
- Also, excluding circle members from meetings will no longer be an option. All de minimis members will become full circle members.
- You will notice changes to the purpose, domains, and accountabilities of the Core Roles (Facilitator, Secretary, etc.):
- You will gain the ability to sub-structure your own roles outside of Governance meetings or asynchronous proposals.
- In v5, the question of whether a role is a circle is a little more nuanced and is now partly context-dependent. You will notice some changes to the org chart if your organization takes advantage of the option to sub-structure roles.
- GlassFrog will no longer allow the creation of role policies outside of a meeting, if there are multiple role-fillers.
- Multi-filled roles will now be able to hold meetings that concern only that role.
Note: If you're not sure if it's right for your organization, you can get more information on Version 5.0 of the Holacracy Constitution by clicking here.